Saturday, September 11, 2010

The House That Built Me


This is the house that I grew up in. My mom and uncle grew up there too. A couple of years ago my grandparents sold it to my uncle, and when the economy fell, the prison he worked at closed and he was transferred. Therefor it is now for sale. For me it is such a bittersweet thing. This is the house where all my moral grounding began. My grandparents taught me so much about life, love, and responsibility in that house. I mowed that yard every summer. I shoveled the walk and stacked wood in the basement every winter. I had slumber parties in that front bedroom where we watched Armageddon and ate whole cheesecakes. I came down the stairs in each prom dress feeling like a princess. I got caught having an impromptu beer party when my grandparents were out of town. I had my graduation party in that house. So many memories, and eventually it will be some other family making memories in that house.



1 comment:

RetroLeeTX said...

Oh my goodness - I just stumbled across your blog and I have to tell you that I'm just crying like a baby after reading your post today. I've never heard that song from Miranda Lambert - but I may have to head over to iTunes and see if I can find it. My parents have lived in the same house for over 43 years. They are still there - they raised myself, my brother and my sister in that house. I am dreading the day - already - when I can't call that house my home. Best wishes to you -
p.s. - if you care to - you can see a picture of my house in Indiana at my blog. I posted it the first part of August.

keeley

Background